The new form engine is designed to be easier and faster to use, as well as to bring you more flexibility and functionality. Here are the details about what will be different.
Calls for submissions or applications now live in a Project, to which you add an Initial Form (as well as Review Forms, when applicable). Projects include general settings, assignments, and your review process, and now exist completely separately from your forms. This means that you can save time by reusing a form as many times as you like, even for opportunities that may have different parameters or workflows.
Use the Preview shortcut as you work to see your form from the submitter perspective with one click.
New Form Fields
The new form engine introduces the following new form fields:
The new form engine is able to support exciting new features already available, including:
- Custom auto-labels: The option to apply an internal term to auto-labels.
- Custom branching: Name your branches for improved usability.
- Tables: Tables can now be made Required or labeled Blind.
- Field Instructions: Instruction fields now support rich-text formatting, including bold, italics, underline, numbered list, bulleted list, quote call-out, and hyperlink.
- Dropdown List and Multiple Checkbox: Updated to accept an uploaded list.
You can now request a reference and link to a custom Reference Form right from the initial form using the Reference Form form field.
Add Submission Name
This checkbox, located just below the form name on the left, is where you can ask your submitter to give a name to their application that will be used as the unique identifier. This replaces what was previously called the “Title” filed on the old form engine. Note, leaving this unchecked will continue to result in a random set of numbers being assigned to submissions as the unique identifier.
Add Submission Fee
Just as before, a flat submission fee can be applied to all submitters. It has been moved from general settings to the form builder.
Renamed Form Fields
Several form fields have been renamed for better clarity. These include:
- Text Box: now Short Answer
- Text Area: now Long Answer
- Dropdown: now Dropdown List
- Checkbox: now Single Checkbox
- Checkbox List: now Multiple Response
- Radio List: now Single Response
- Text Block: now Text Only
- Horizontal Line: now Divider
- URL: now Website
Sunsetted Form Fields
Some form fields no longer exist, including:
- Title: Title has been replaced with the Add Submission Name field checkbox at the top of your form.
- Cover Letter: The Cover Letter field has been removed as our data has shown it is not providing benefit to our customers.
- Select List: We have removed Select Long List as a field option because it is now possible to upload a list directly into the Dropdown List or Multiple Checkbox form fields.
- Document Request: We have replaced Document Request with Reference Forms.
- Internal Fields: We have removed internal fields as it was incompatible with the new form engine. Several new features, including Funds and Review Workflow, may provide the functionality that you may have used internal fields for in the past, and our product development team is currently working on a more comprehensive solution for tracking internal data.
- Terms and Conditions: We have removed the Terms and Conditions field. To share Terms and Conditions with submitters, use the Single Checkbox option, make it required, and provide a link to your Terms and Conditions in the instructions.
- Add Optional Payment: Add Optional Payment, formerly in the General Settings on the Form Builder, has been replaced with Smart Fees, a much improved and more flexible way to accept payments and donations.
- Add Submission Manually: This ability is no longer available.