The new form engine is designed to be easier and faster to use, as well as to bring you more flexibility and functionality. Here are the details about what will be different.
There are two important changes to note about creating your program workflow.
- Projects: Calls for submissions or applications now live in a Project. Launch your opportunity by creating a Project, and then add your Initial Form . Projects also house general settings, assignments, and your review process.
- Review Workflow: All reviews now lives in a stage. On the Review Workflow tab of your Project, you'll create and name your stage of review, and choose the review type: yes/no voting, custom review, or the new "No review required" option. Create as many stages as you like.*
The new Submittable includes these new features we think you'll love.
- Eligibility Forms* let you screen applicants for your eligibility criteria before they continue to your form.
- Charity Check* provides real-time information based on a nonprofit's EIN number, powered by Candid (formerly Guidestar).
- Shareable Reviews gives you the ability to share reviews directly with submitters within the app.
- Collaborative Submissions* lets you allow submitters to collaborate in real time on a collective application.
- The Add Payment form field options allows you to charge fees or sell products or services throughout your form. You can also use form logic to incorporate tiered pricing and charge per file upload.
Key Enhancements at a Glance
Here's a quick overview of some the enhancements we think you'll be most excited about.
- Duplicate form fields. Find it in the top right corner when a form field is selected.
- Custom auto-labels: The option to apply an internal term to auto-labels.
- Custom branching: Name your branches for improved usability.
- Tables: Tables can now be made Required or labeled Blind.
- Field Instructions: Instruction fields now support rich-text formatting, including hyperlinks, image, and video.
- Hide Blind Fields: For blind reviews, decide whether to exclude the question and answer completely, or let the reviewer know the field was hidden by marking the response as "Blind."
- Preview: Use the new Preview shortcut as you work to see your form from the submitter perspective with one click.
Certain Submittable capabilities will look just a little different. Here's a chart mapping the classic Submittable feature to its equivalent in the new form engine, plus a handy reference for everything that's new.
Updates to Form Fields
Document Request form field
You can now create a full Reference Form using the form builder for third party references. Add the Reference Form form field to your Initial or Additional form. You can also include a custom message for each reference.
Title form field
Now Add Submission Name checkbox, located at the top of the form.
Text Box form field
Now the Short Answer form field, which can be limited by character or word count.
Text Area form field
Now the Long Answer form field, which can be limited by character or word count. You may also give submitters the ability to use rich text formatting by selecting the “Allow Rich Text Editing.”
Dropdown form field
Now the Dropdown List form field. You may now also upload a list, interact with items after uploading (edit/delete), enable branching, and add a payment for each selection.
Checkbox form field
Now the Single Checkbox form field. You may now add a payment to the selection.
Checkbox List form field
Now the Multiple Response form field. You may now also upload a list and interact with items after uploading (edit/delete), and add a payment for each selection.
Radio List form field
Now the Single Response form field. You may now also upload a list and interact with items after uploading (edit/delete), and add a payment for each selection.
Text Block form field
Now the Text Only form field.
Horizontal Line form field
Now the Divider form field.
URL form field
Now the Website form field.
Cover Letter form field
The Cover Letter form field has been sunsetted. Previously accepted Cover Letters will be converted to a Long Answer form field. You will no longer see the Cover Letter in email notifications.
Select List form field
The Select List has been replaced with the ability to upload a list directly into the Dropdown List or Multiple Checkbox form fields. Uploads may now be edited or deleted, and branching may be enabled.
Text Block form field
Now Text Only form field, with support for rich text formatting, hyperlink, image, and video. Note: if you had previously written code in the Text Block, it may be converted to plain text.
Table form field
Tables can now be made Required or labeled Blind. Tables will also now appear embedded in the submission detail view (rather than as a .pdf file attachment as before).
File Upload form field
You may now add a payment to be charged per file upload.
Name form field (New)
You may now ask for a name which will prompt the submitter to enter a first and last name.
Address form field (New)
You may now ask for an address which will prompt the submitter to enter a country, two lines of address, city, province, or region, and zip or postal code.
Email form field (New)
You may now ask for an email address which will be data validated.
Number form field (New)
You may now ask for a number which will be data validated. You may optionally mark the number as a percent or currency, set a minimum or maximum, or add a payment, which will multiply the price by the number entered.
Date form field (New)
You may now ask for a date which will be data validated to a MM/DD/YYYY format and optionally set a date range.
Charity Check* form field (new)
You may now ask for an organization's EIN number. Our integration with Candid (formerly Guidestar) will then pull data on the organization, viewable by both you and the applicant. Learn more.
Updates to Form Field Options and Settings
Duplicate form fields (New)
You can now duplicate form fields. With a form field selected, click the double duplicate box in the top right corner.
Internal Fields form field option
Rather than mark individual form fields as “Internal,” you may now create a full Internal Form to supplement submissions. Internal Forms may not be Blind.
Auto Labels form field option
You may now give Auto Labels custom names for improved usability. This is recommended for Yes/No questions, responses with over 25 characters, or anytime you wish to give a label an internal value. After selecting Auto Label, select Use custom label and add custom labels in the “Add Label…” box by each response. Learn more.
Enable Branching form field option
You may now name branches for improved usability. Click Enable Branching, enter the branch name, then click Create Branch.
Price/Add Fee Option setting
A flat submission fee has been moved from the General Settings tab to the form builder. Use the Add Submission Fee checkbox at the top of the form.
Add Optional Payment setting
Rather than use this setting, you can now add optional payments to many individual response choices. Learn more.
Gallery* form field option
Form fields to include in your Gallery are now chosen on the Gallery tab.
Blind form field option
On the Notifications tab, you may now decide whether to exclude Blind form fields (question and answer) completely, or let the reviewer know the field was hidden by showing the question and marking the response as "Blind."
Preview tool (New)
Use the new Preview shortcut in the top right as you work to see your form from the submitter perspective with one click.
Form Field Description
Now labeled Instructions for Submitter, and now supporting rich-text formatting, hyperlinks, image and video. Note: if you had previously written code in your description, it may be converted to plain text.
*Some features may not be available to all organizations based on your subscription. To upgrade, contact your account manager.