The new form engine is designed to be easier and faster to use, as well as to bring you more flexibility and functionality. Here are the details about what will be different.
New Form Fields
The new form engine introduces the following new form fields:
The new form engine is able to support exciting new features already available, including:
- Custom auto-labels: The option to apply an internal term to auto-labels.
- Custom branching: Name your branches for improved usability.
- Tables: Tables can now be made Required or labeled Blind.
- Field Instructions: Instruction fields now support rich-text formatting, including bold, italics, underline, numbered list, bulleted list, quote call-out, and hyperlink.
- Dropdown List and Multiple Checkbox: Updated to accept an uploaded list.
- Add Payment checkbox: This new form field options allows you to charge fees or sell products or services throughout your form. You can also use form logic to incorporate tiered pricing, or charge per file upload. Learn more.
You can now request a reference and link to a custom Reference Form right from the initial form using the Reference Form form field.
Add Submission Name
This checkbox, located just below the form name on the left, is where you can ask your submitter to give a name to their application that will be used as the unique identifier. This replaces what was previously called the “Title” filed on the old form engine. Note, leaving this unchecked will continue to result in a random set of numbers being assigned to submissions as the unique identifier.
Add Submission Fee
Just as before, a flat submission fee can be applied to all submitters. It has been moved from general settings to the form builder.
Renamed Form Fields
Several form fields have been renamed for better clarity. These include:
- Text Box: now Short Answer
- Text Area: now Long Answer
- Dropdown: now Dropdown List
- Checkbox: now Single Checkbox
- Checkbox List: now Multiple Response
- Radio List: now Single Response
- Text Block: now Text Only
- Horizontal Line: now Divider
- URL: now Website
Sunsetted Form Fields
Some form fields no longer exist, including:
- Title: Title has been replaced with the Add Submission Name field checkbox at the top of your form.
- Cover Letter: The Cover Letter field has been removed as our data has shown it is not providing benefit to our customers.
- Select List: We have removed Select Long List as a field option because it is now possible to upload a list directly into the Dropdown List or Multiple Checkbox form fields.
- Document Request: We have replaced Document Request with Reference Forms.
- Internal Fields: Internal Fields has been replaced with Internal Forms.
- Add Optional Payment: Add Optional Payment, formerly in the General Settings on the Form Builder, has been replaced with Smart Fees, a much improved and more flexible way to accept payments and donations.
- Add Submission Manually: This ability will be available imminently.
Calls for submissions or applications now live in a Project. Launch your opportunity by creating a Project, and then add your Initial Form . Projects also house general settings, assignments, and your review process.
On the Review Workflow tab of your Project, you'll create and name a stage of review. You can choose yes/no voting, custom review, or the new "No review required" option. You can also create additional stages if you have multi-stage reviews on your account. Contact your account manager to learn about adding multi-stage review.
Use the Preview shortcut as you work to see your form from the submitter perspective with one click.
Other New Features
The new form engine opened the door to a plethora of other new features and enhancements across the Submittable platform, including:
- Eligibility forms let you screen applicants for your eligibility criteria before they continue to your form.
- Charity check provides real-time information based on a nonprofit's EIN number, powered by Candid (formerly Guidestar).
- Shareable reviews gives you the ability to share reviews directly with submitters within the app.
- Collaborative submissions lets you allow submitters to collaborate in real time on a collective application.
- For anonymous reviews, decide whether to exclude the question and answer completely, or let the reviewer know the field was hidden by marking the response as "Blind"