You have many options when creating and editing the submissions form that submitters use to submit to your form. Begin by creating or editing a submission form, then click on the Form Designer tab of the 'Edit Form.'
Customizing your Submission Form
Your submissions form is fully customizable using the Toolbox on the right-hand side of the screen. Drag and drop fields from the Toolbox onto your form according to your preferences. By default, your submissions form is pre-populated with sample fields for you to customize. You can edit or delete these fields.
- To edit a field, hover your mouse over the field and click on it or click 'Edit' in the field's upper right-hand corner
- To delete a field, hover your mouse over the field and click the trash icon in the upper right-hand corner
- To reorder fields, click and drag a field to a new location
- To require that submitters answer a particular field, check the Required checkbox when editing that field. Fields that are starred are required. (Note: The Title, Cover Letter, File Upload, and Reference Letter fields are automatically marked as required, though you can uncheck the 'Required' checkbox to make them not required)
- To make a field blind for team members at or below your preferred permission level, check the 'Blind' checkbox when editing that field. See our blind forms article for more info.
- To set-up Data validation, drag in a text box field and select an option from the "Data validation" drop-down menu (i.e. email, date, number, etc.)
Types of Fields
Each new field on your form has a label for you to customize (typically, you'll change the label to a question or statement for the submitter). You can also enter an optional description for each field (instructions telling the submitter what you want him/her to enter into the field). Here is an overview of the available fields:
- Title: For the title of the submission. (Note: If you remove this field, submissions will be assigned an auto-incremented number as they are received and the number will display on your submissions list.)
- Cover Letter: For the submitter to type in his/her cover letter
- Text Box: For short, one-line text responses
- Text Area: For long, multi-line text responses
- Select (longlist): Enables upload of a pre-written .csv, .tsv,. or .txt file that will automatically populate a longer drop down list. (i.e. a list of countries or states)
- Dropdown: For responses in a dropdown menu format from which submitters can choose one response
- Phone: Field designed specifically for phone number entries. The form will automatically format the phone number and add a country code as numbers are added. Note: this field will only allow submitters to enter numbers.
- Checkbox: For a single-option checkbox response
- Checkbox List: For a list of options from which the reviewer can choose one or more responses
- Radio List: For a list of options from which the reviewer can only choose one response
- Text Block: This block is read-only, editable by administrators. Use this to give instructions or other informational text to submitters.
- File Upload: For submitters to upload files with their submission. Choose from 43 acceptable file types, including text, image, audio, and video file types. Optionally choose how many files the submitter can upload with their submission (up to 75 files at once).
- URL: For the submitter to enter a website URL, such as his/her personal website or blog. Only website addresses may be entered into this field.
- Horizontal Line: Use a horizontal line break to help organize sections of your submissions form.
- Document Request: For the submitter to enter the email addresses of his/her reference letter writers.
- Table: A fillable table for applicants to enter data, with optional formulas. See our tables article.
When you're finished customizing your submissions form, click Save Form and return to your Forms page or continue editing your form.