Note: This article refers to features associated with Submittable's original form builder. It is relevant to accounts established prior to February 7, 2020. If you purchased your Submittable plan after this date, you are using our new form engine and will want to view this article.
Add-on Payments enable organizations to sell goods or services via an optional fee in their submission forms. For example, if you'd like to offer submitters the opportunity to subscribe to your magazine, become a member, or buy merchandise, you can use Add-on Payments to charge for these options. This feature is included with all plans at no charge.
To use Add-on Payments, follow these steps:
1. In your Forms page, click the name of an existing form for which you'd like to use Add-on Payments or click Add Form to create a new form.
2. In the General Settings tab, locate the Add-on Payments (optional) section. Click + Add an item to sell.
3. Enter the Fee amount for the item. If the item will require shipping, please include your shipping cost in the total amount. (Note: The minimum fee amount is 2.00 USD, and the fee is subject to regular payment processing fees. Additional accepted currencies are the Australian Dollar, Canadian Dollar, Chinese Yuan, Euro, British Pound, and New Zealand Dollar). Add a Description of the item (e.g. 1-Year Magazine Subscription). Click Save.
4. Add additional items as needed.
5. If you'd like to reorder the items, simply click and drag them into your preferred order. To edit an item, click on its name, make your desired changes, and click Save. To delete an item, click on its name and choose Delete option.
6. In the Form Designer tab, add text box or text area form fields that ask for the mailing address of your submitter, so that you will have a shipping address for any add-on items that require shipping. (Note: Alternatively, you can require that all submitters have a street address on file when they submit to you, by going to More > Account > Profile and checking the Require Address checkbox. Then, click Update Profile. This will prompt submitters to all of your forms to enter their street address when submitting. If you choose this option, you do not need to manually add in address fields in the Form Designer tab).
7. In the Assignments & Notifications tab, check the Receive an email alert for each submission? checkbox. Optionally auto-assign team members to submissions for this form in the Auto-Assigned Team Member(s) dropdown menu. Any specified team members will receive an email alert every time a submission is received for this form. If no team members are specified, an email will be sent to the organization email (which you can edit under More > Account > Profile).
8. When you're finished making changes, click the Save Form button.
9. When submitters submit to your form, they will see your optional add-on items, plus any required application or submission fee you may have included. As they select the items, the total will reflect the overall amount they'll be charged. As with any submission, submitters can pay by credit card or PayPal.
11. To see whether a submitter has purchased an add-on item, go to your Submissions list. Any submissions that included paid add-on items will show a dollar icon to the far right of the submission. You can use your Search Filters to filter by submissions that contain paid add-ons. Click on the dollar icon to see the paid add-on items. (Note: You can also export submission data to see the paid add-ons for each submission.) To see paid add-on information in the Submission Details page, click the name of the submission and then click the i icon near the top-right of the page. Any paid add-on items will show there. The email alert that is sent for each submission (see step 7 above) will also state whether a submitter has paid for an add-on item, and if so, which ones.
If you'd like to track your sales in a spreadsheet or e-commerce software like Shopify or Magento, you can use Zapier to do this. See our help article for more information on how to use Zapier.