Organizations can add Reference Letter fields to the application form, which allows applicants to request reference letters. During the application process, each applicant will the enter the email address of the writer of his or her reference letter into the Reference Letter form field.
When the applicant submits the application, Submittable automatically sends a Reference Letter Request email to each reference letter writer. The email contains a link to a reference letter submission form where the reference letter writer will enter his or her name and submit a file containing his or her reference letter.
If you're interested in adding this feature to your account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Add Reference Letter Fields to a Submission Form
- In the Forms tab, click the name of the form you'd like to edit.
2. Select the Form Designer tab.
3. In the Toolbox on the right, click and drag the Reference Letter field onto the submission form.
4. In the Reference Letter form field, optionally edit the default Label and Description. Check or uncheck the appropriate check boxes to select whether the applicant is Required to enter a reference and whether you want the reference letter to be Blind (i.e. hidden from reviewers).
5. Add additional Reference Letter fields if you would like your applicants to include more than one reference.
6. Click the Save Form button at the bottom of the page. The system will allow reference letters to be submitted by the reference letter writer after the submission deadline. There is not presently a way to put a deadline on a reference letter submission.
How to View Reference Letters
1. From your Submissions list, click on a submission to view its details page.
2. If you're viewing the Summary view, scroll down to the Reference Letter section. (If you're viewing the File view, click the X button to the top right of the file to switch to the Summary view.)
3. In the Reference Letter section, click the Download Reference Letter link to view a received reference letter. (Note: The requirement to download a reference letter in order to view it is short-term. Reference letter content will be viewable in Submittable soon.)
4. If a reference letter has not yet been received, you will have the option to resend a reference letter request to the reference letter writer by clicking the Resend Request link in the Reference Letter section. The applicant can also Resend the request by clicking on the submission in his or her submission list and clicking Resend Request (see below):