Organizations can add Reference Letter fields to the application form, which allows applicants to request reference letters or any other types of supporting documents on behalf of applicants. During the application process, each applicant will the enter the email address of the provider, requesting any letters or other supporting documents.
When an applicant submits their application, Submittable will automatically send a Supporting Document Request email to each referee or document provider. The email contains a link to a form where the referee/document provider will enter his or her name and submit a file containing his or her letter or document.
If you're interested in adding this feature to your account, please email email@example.com.
How To Use The Reference Letter Field in Your Form
1. In the Forms tab, click the name of the form you'd like to edit.
2. Select the Form Designer tab.
3. In the Toolbox on the right, click and drag the Reference Letter field onto the submission form.
4. In the Reference Letter form field, optionally edit the default Label and Description. Check or uncheck the appropriate check boxes to select whether the applicant is Required to enter a reference and whether you want the reference letter to be Blind (i.e. hidden from reviewers).
5. Add additional Reference Letter fields if you would like your applicants to include more than one reference.
6. Click the Save Form button at the bottom of the page. The system will allow reference letters to be submitted by the reference letter writer after the submission deadline. There is not presently a way to put a deadline on a reference letter submission.
How to View Reference Letters and Supporting Documents
1. From your Submissions list, click on a submission to view its details page.
2. If you're viewing the Summary view, scroll down to the Reference Letter section. (If you're viewing the File view, click the X button to the top right of the file to switch to the Summary view.)
3. In the Reference Letter section, click the Download Reference Letter link to view a received reference letter. (Note: The requirement to download a reference letter in order to view it is short-term. Reference letter content will be viewable in Submittable soon.)
4. If a reference letter has not yet been received, you will have the option to resend a reference letter request to the reference letter writer by clicking the Resend Request link in the Reference Letter section. The applicant can also Resend the request by clicking on the submission in his or her submission list and clicking Resend Request (see below):
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org