The Tables feature enables organizations to include fillable tables in their application form. Organizations can upload a spreadsheet template into their application form, including common spreadsheet formulas such as SUM or COUNT. This creates a table in which applicants can enter data. As the applicants enter data, the table will automatically make calculations based on any formulas in the spreadsheet template.
Tables are useful for collecting data in a tabular format, such as for a budget or an inventory list. Grants organizations find these especially useful for their application process. Tables can be added to any account for an additional fee. To sign up for this feature, please contact our sales team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Add a Table to an Application Form
1. In your Forms page, click Add Form or click the name of an existing form for which you'd like to add a table.
2. In the Form Designer tab, drag and drop the Table field from the Toolbox onto your application form.
3. Rename the Table Label to your preferred name, such as Budget.
4. To create a spreadsheet template on a PC, you can use Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets. If you’re using a Mac, please create your spreadsheet in Google Sheets as there currently is an compatibility issue between Microsoft Excel for Mac files and the Tables feature.
5. The spreadsheet template must be in .xlsx format. See our help article for a full list of spreadsheet formulas supported in Tables. The table will be as wide as your farthest right column that contains text or a formula (e.g. Column E in the below example), and it will be as long as the last row that contains text or a formula (e.g. Row 6 in the below example). This sample spreadsheet template for a budget contains formulas to calculate subtotals and a total:
6. Once you have created your spreadsheet, save it as a .xlsx file, such as budget.xlsx. (Note: If you’re creating the spreadsheet in Google Sheets, click on File > Download As > Microsoft Excel (.xlsx) to download a .xlsx version of your file.)
7. In the Form Designer tab of your submission form, locate your Table field and click Select a file. Choose your .xlsx file and upload it. If you’d like to use another file, click Remove file and upload another file. Click Done when you’re finished.
8. Make any other preferred changes to your application form, and click Save Form.
9. To see what your table looks like to an applicant, click the View Your Site button at the top right of any page in your Submittable account and select the appropriate form. Locate the table on your application form. As the applicant fills in your table, any formulas you entered into your spreadsheet template will automatically generate calculations.
10. To see an expanded view of the Table, click Expand. To go back to the application form, click Close.
11. After the applicant has submitted the form, you can see the applicant’s table data by clicking on the Table file in the Submission Details page for his or her application. Optionally download or print the table as you would with any attached file.
Interested in adding Tables to your organization's account? Email us at email@example.com.