The Gallery View feature enables organizations to display submissions online in a gallery for a public audience to view and/or rate. This is useful for organizations who would like to share their submissions with the public (e.g. to announce the finalists of a contest) or who would like the public to vote on submissions (e.g. to help determine the winners of a contest). This is also useful for organizations that may wish for their internal review team to view submissions in a gallery format.
This feature is available for videos, animated GIFs, and for image submissions that are JPG, TIFF, GIF, or PNG files.
The Gallery View feature can be added to any account for an additional fee. To sign up, please contact our sales team.
- In your Forms page, click the name of an existing form for which you'd like to enable Gallery View or click Create Form to create a new form.
- Edit or create your General Settings and form in the Form Designer as needed. Then, go to the Gallery View tab. Click On next to Enable Gallery.
- Enter an optional Gallery Title. This title will appear instead of your form name at the top of the gallery.
- Optionally enter Gallery Guidelines. They will appear at the top of the gallery, beneath the Gallery Title.
- If you would like to display the submitter's name for their submission in the gallery, check the Show Submitter Name checkbox.
- Any File Upload fields in your form that accept videos, animated GIFs, or image submissions that are JPG, TIFF, GIF, or PNG files can be displayed in the gallery. In the What media files do you want to display? section, select the File Upload fields for which you'd like to show files in the gallery. You must choose at least one field. (Note: Audio files, text files, and PDFs will only appear in the gallery if the submitter has uploaded a video or image file for a gallery-enabled File Upload field; the audio, text, or PDF files will only show as downloadable links.)
- If no fields show in the What media files do you want to display? section, click Update. You'll be taken to the Form Designer, where you can add a File Upload field to your form that accepts a video or image file. After you add this field, go back to the Gallery View tab and complete Step 6 above.
- If you would like to display other fields in the gallery, select them in the What other fields do you want to display? section. The form fields that can be displayed in the gallery include the Cover Letter, Text Box, Text Area, Dropdown, Checkbox, Checkbox List, Radio List, and URL fields.
- By default, all submissions for this form will be displayed in your gallery. To show only certain submissions, click the Display specific submissions menu and select a label of your choice. Only the submissions for this form that you label with your selected label will show in the gallery.
- In the Sorting menu, choose the order in which you would like submissions to appear in the gallery. You can choose from oldest to newest (the default), newest to oldest, or random, which will randomly change the submission order each time a visitor visits the gallery.
- To allow voting for submissions in the gallery, check the Voting checkbox. Anyone with a Submittable account and the link to your Gallery URL will be able to vote on the gallery submissions.
- If you've enabled voting, any visitor to your gallery can vote on a submission. To vote, visitors click on a submission to view it and then click the thumbs up button. If the visitor wants to remove his or her vote, then he or she can simply click on the thumbs up button again. Each visitor gets a maximum of one thumbs-up vote per submission.
3. To help preserve the integrity of the voting process, you may choose to require email validation before a vote will be counted. Check the Email Validation checkbox to enable this feature. Submittable validates voter email addresses by sending voters an email containing a link they must click to validate their email address. Here's an example of a validation email:
Thanks for using Submittable. Our records show you've created a
Submittable account for email@example.com. Please click the following link to validate your email address:
Note: If a visitor has logged into Submittable using Facebook, he or she will not receive a validation email, since Facebook has already validated the address.
Sharing and Saving:
- In the Share Link to Gallery section, optionally customize the message that will appear at the end of submission confirmation emails when a submitter submits to this form. This message must contain the placeholder tag [gallery-link], which will take the submitter to the gallery page for their submission.
- When you're finished making changes, click Save Form.
- If you'd like to go to your gallery page, click Keep editing and scroll up to the Gallery URL section of the Gallery View tab. Your URL will be generated. Click View Gallery to see your gallery page.
- If you've chosen to only display submissions that have a specific label (see step 9 in "Gallery Settings" above), go to your Submissions List or Submission Details page and label the submissions you want to display. You can also use our auto-labels feature to automatically label submissions based on the answer a submitter gives in your submission form.
Viewing and Navigating the Gallery:
- Go to your Gallery URL by clicking the View Gallery button in your form's Gallery View tab. (Note: You can also access your Gallery URL by going to Forms and clicking the paperclip icon next to your form name. Click the link under Direct link to the Gallery View for this form.)
- After your gallery has received at least one submission, you will see it appear in your gallery page. Click on the submission to view the file(s) within it. Click on a file to view or play it. If there are multiple files in the submission, click the left and right < > arrow buttons to navigate between the files. Note: Currently, visitors can only vote for an entire submission, rather than for individual files within a submission.
- To go back to the general gallery webpage, click the X button in the upper-right-hand corner of the public Submission Details page.
Downloading Voting Data:
- Once your gallery submissions have received at least one vote, you can download a CSV file containing your Gallery View voting data. To do this, go to your Forms page and click the name of the specific form.
- In the Gallery View tab, scroll down to the Voting section. Click the Download list of voters link. (Note: This link will only appear if you've received at least one vote in your gallery.)
- You'll immediately download a CSV file containing your Gallery View voting data, including Submission IDs, Submission Titles, and voter information.
Questions or interested in adding Gallery View to your account plan? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.